Our Lady of Nigeria Secondary School – a Catholic boarding school for girls was founded by Most Rev. Dr Richard Burke, SPS, the Catholic Bishop of Warri Diocese along Fr. Wilfred Way, Catholic Village, Ugbimidaka quarters in Ogharekioghara, the headquarters of Ethiope West Local Government Area of Delta State. The beatifully serene compound is a naturally conductive environment for learning.
OLN Schools project initiated through the efforts of St. Felix Parish Laity Council Oghara in 2006. These men and women of vision saw the need for an institution that would cater for the moral, ethical, spiritual and academic development of their children especially the girls. Our people say that a grat athlete must first learn to walk briskly befor he can run swiftly. Based on a related premise, the Catholic community decided on the establishment of the nursery and primary schools before thinking of a secondary school. The success of the nursery and primary schools initiative prompted theleaders of thought in this community to consider the possibility of establishing a secondary school that will continue the education of the pupils.
When permission was received from the appropriate quarters, the nursery and primary schools were then upgraded to a secondary school. Additiional and crucial buildings such as hostels and dining hall were quickly constructed and a new block was built to cater for the existing nursery and primary school. on the 23rd of September, 2006, the doors of the secondary school were opened to its first batch of students. Today, we have 30 students in the school register. These first set of students were received by the parish Priest of St. Felix Parish, Rev. Fr. Jesuovie Ogagavwodia, who was the co-odinator of the project.
Focusing on the vision of education, the initiators of the projects had, the school took as its motto: ‘Building a Godly Nation’ and was dedicated to Our Lady Queen of Nigeria. To ensure that the lauda le objective for which the schools were established find expression in the educational experience of the children whio will attend it, the Catholic Bishop of Warri Diocese, invited the Sisters of the Holy Cild Jesus (Holy Child Sisters); an internation congregation of Women Religious, to establish a community of Sisters at Ogara that will manage the schools. When Most Rev. Fr Burke, SPS concluded the arrangement with the Holy Child Sisters, through their Provicial, Rev. Sr. Cecelia Niya, SHCJ, Rev. Sr, Antoinette Opara was mission to Oghara to be the first principal along with other sisters. Holy Child Sisters are known all over the world for their work in the education of women. It is also such a pleasant coincidence that the Foundress of this congregation, Veneerable Cornelia Connelly (1809 – 1879), dedicated all her schools to Our Lady the blessed Virgin Mary and to the Archangels. Today we are glad to not thate many Holy Child Sisters will be working in the Nurseery, Primary and Secondary Schools and the Our Lady of Nigeria Cottage Hospital as well.
It is important to mention at this juncture some individuals whose contribution to the realization this project cannot be over emphasived: Rev. Fr. Wilfred Edafeadjeke, the former Parish Prist of St. Felix, Fr. Jesuvie Current Parish Prist of St. Felix, Honourable Engineer Emmanuel, the Parish Laity Council Chairman, Honourable Chief Isaac Udju, member Parish Laity Council. It is our prayer that Almighty God should bless them abundantly.